Senior R&D Polymer Chemist
Ionomr Innovations, Inc., is an award-winning start-up company located in Vancouver. Ionomr developing next-generation ion-exchange materials to revolutionize hydrogen production, zero emission fuel cell electric vehicles, carbon capture, industrial processes, and energy storage solutions, with a vision of enabling the world of clean technology with our advanced membranes and polymers. Ionomr was recently named the “Most Promising Corporation” by the International Hydrogen Fuel Cell Association, the Chinese Society of Automotive Engineers, and Anglo American, recognized with a JDA award by Nouryon, a large multi-national with large commitments to deploy green hydrogen; and winner of the prestigious Start Up Energy Transition Award – Low Carbon Energy for representing a step-change in the cost of hydrogen, given by the World Energy Council and German energy. We are strongly supported by Canadian venture capital and government grants including a large Sustainable Development Technology Canada grant for the development of cost-effective solutions for clean energy systems.
We are currently seeking a candidate to fill a full-time position as a Sr. Polymer R&D Chemist. The successful candidate will conduct and be responsible for the characterization of ion-exchange membranes for electrochemical applications. The positions will be based at our facility located on the Vancouver campus of the University of British Columbia.
Responsibilities include and are not limited to the following:
· Actively interface with business and technology leaders to develop a standard and custom derivation of our next generation of AemionTMand PemionTMpolymer formulations and processes that meet or exceed to our customer specifications, quality requirements and operational environmental goals.
· Act as the key person in drafting overall material development strategies, and defining the work to deliver on those strategies including screening prototypes to support the execution of the agreed program and project targets;
· Contribute to product platform development through the application of statistical experimental design, product testing, and data analysis.
· Perform literature and patent searches to guide experimentation.
· Partner with manufacturing resources to develop test methods and establish quality controls for new materials/processes.
· Support marketing and sales through development of product and application data.
· Summarize experimental strategies and data analysis in written reports and presentations for communication with peers, customers, and various levels of management.
· Interface with and gain knowledge of Environmental, Health and Safety practices and regulatory requirements in various industries.
· Collaborate in cross-functional projects across business units.
· Develop Lean Six Sigma (LSS) capabilities.
- Other duties as required.
Required Qualifications for the position are:
· Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science, or Material Science, with a focus on polymer materials development, structure-property relationships, or polymer processing.
· > 5+ years of experience with the synthesis and characterization of ion-exchange membranes, with a preference for experience in both anion- and cation-exchange membranes
· > 10 years industrial experience in the design of new polymeric materials derived from structure-property relationship studies
· > 5 years industrial experience with scaling up the synthesis of polymeric materials and their precursors from gram to kilogram
· Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration skills.
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Demonstrated project management capability.
· Motivated with a passion to succeed.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Interested candidates should forward their CV and a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, for immediate consideration.
Ionomr values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity, and encourages applications from women, people with disabilities, Aboriginal peoples, and visible minorities. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but only those candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted.